Ok so I have learned a lot in the past few weeks... Just so you know... The DR is a whole new world!
1) We don't say siesta for nap... we say "voy a tener una pavita," which literally means, 'I''m going to have a little turkey."
2) Dominicans are obsessed with playing dominos... I don't know why.
3) Dominicans have NO safety rules... they'll take newborn babies in one hand and a tv in the other and then drive a motorcycle. I'm not even exaggerating.
4) The moths are on steroids... I think they are man-eating.
5) To save time and money, they let their little kids run naked... the only problem is, is that I've already gotten peed on.
6) Dominicans love Americans... I've been told that I'm "precioso"at least 10 times a day in the past 3 weeks.
7) Roosters don't know when the sun comes up... I get woken up at 4:30 every morning. I think I might have a chicken dinner sometime this week...
8) The bishop asked me if I had Mitt Romney and Thomas S. Monson's phone number.
9) The adults are children here... Our missionary activity on Sunday consisted of the bishop makingus wait outside and come into the chapel one by one to play this game called Rey Jabba Jabba... we had to beat the ground with a broom and say YO SOY EL REY JABBA JABBA and then sit down in a chair.... they put water in the chair so everyone but the bishop looked like they wet themselves.
10) The DR is beautiful... It may not seem like it in some places, but whenyou realize that this is simply another part of God's beautiful earth that is inhabited by His children, it really is paradise.
Hermana Krislee Twiner